Monday, January 13, 2014

Dear Scarlet



                                                                                                                01/11/2014
Dear Scarlet,

            You have been in the world one year now, and have already experienced a great deal of change.   Little sparks of your personality keep being revealed and it’s already been established you have your dad’s persistence, and your mom’s beauty.  No one can resist your smile; it’s infectious and only draws me closer and closer to the edge of insanity for fear of what the future holds for you and your romantic interests.  I am obsessed with finding new and creative ways to stun the world with your warmth, love, and smile. 
            To say you changed my life forever is a cliché but one that doesn’t truly describe what you have done for me.  You wrecked my life.  You’ve left me disorganized, afraid, frustrated, and discombobulated.  You have forced me to be a better man, and for that I’m eternally thankful.  Thank you for destroying me, so that God could use you to build a better man out of the rubble.  I love you scar-bear.
            The world is melodramatic.  So many people want you to live in fear.  So many want you to “not worry” because this is only temporary suffering for the glory that lies ahead.   While this is true, and it is temporary suffering, this life has meaning, and it wasn’t meant to be brushed aside to wait for the future.  Your life is meant to be lived, now!  This life is a vapor and it is one to be embraced, and enjoyed, and fantastically relished.  Don’t let everyone around you instill so much fear that you miss out on living.  Jesus didn’t come to leave you wanting.  He came to give you living water, so that you would never thirst again.  Enjoy it, don’t take it too seriously, life is supposed to be fun.
            I’m going to guide you into a life lived with Jesus.  Will I fail? Absolutely!  I’m not ignorant to the fact I’m far from all-knowing.  For a long time you will believe I know everything, I will be your hero.  This will only humble me.  In life if your pursuit is love, joy, and wisdom then I will not have failed you.  These three things are so radical, and so far from what you’ll experience at times that you will change the world if you discover their secrets.  
            I’m going to guide you in practicality.  I want you to know how to manage money, time, relationships, and basketball stats.  I want you to enjoy the arts, like the theater, the symphony, and all the wonderful sculptures, film and paintings throughout time.  I MORE than anything want to guide you into your hearts contentment.  I want you to know who you are and embrace the Scarlet you are meant to be.  I want you to be secure in who you are, never doubting the woman you can be.  I desperately want you to be loved well.
I could write lists, and have in my mind, of the desires I have for you.  I have thousands.  At the end of this all, all I’ll ever want for you is Joy, Love, and Wisdom.  If all the lists faded and you were left with these three qualities, there is no doubt you will have lived a fulfilled life, here, and now.  Don’t wait for eternity, seize the day.

 I love you, I’m committed to you, and am so looking forward to tickling you when you wake,
                                      -Dad (dadadada as I’m known for now)

1 comment: