Saturday, April 5, 2014

Revolution of our Agendas


As a follower of Jesus it’s very difficult how to transfer relationship with God into real life sometimes.  When I was a young man entering adulthood I was zealous, and intensely pursuing God.  I wanted to change the world and I knew that I would.  With God on my side who could be against me?  I spent time within a discipleship program designed to reveal character issues, and bring about lasting foundations in what it is to be a disciple of Jesus.  It was all very, very amazing.  I then spent a semester in seminary with the intended purpose of pastoring a church.  God had different plans, still not fully revealed.
As I walked around campus during seminary school I had a lot of conversations with people just like me.  In my spare time I was reading books about being a shepherd and other books strictly against “organized religion.”  The one thing that slapped me across the face and changed my path forever was that people who pursued seminary (at least the ones I met) never pursued any other career path.  They had “jobs” but their passion was always about Jesus, and ministry.  They had no real, deep connection with the lost or the sick.  This deeply burdened me (not saying seminary school is wrong, it just was for me).  I dropped out in the middle of the semester and began a new career path. 
Financial advising was the next endeavor before finally and fully pursuing nursing school.  I wanted to know people.  I wanted to be in the trenches fighting with them.  I wanted to passionately pursue them with love, healing, hope and life.  I wanted to offer them Jesus in their brokenness.  This was my ministry.  But life has gotten me distracted.  Which brings me to my whole point.
Our agendas, if pursued long enough, become the only thing we can see.  We cannot let this happen.  As lovers of Jesus, he must always be in focus.  It’s not sin that draws us from God, it’s our agendas that do.  If there is a devil, his biggest trick is to convince you your battles, agendas, and pursuits are the most important things in your life so you completely forget whom your heart belongs to. 
I’m ready to remember.  Life is complicated, and tricky.  Our only hope is remembering Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment